Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Fear of the Swine

Pretty Pig
I started the New Year with a big sneeze and a terrible headache was my companion on the first of January. Over the next two days I developed a full-blown flu. Being a natural hypochondriac, I speculated the worst: I’ve got the Flu of the Swine, the terrible A H1N1 virus!
As the first step of a self-diagnosis I Googled the symptoms of this disease:
  • Fever (sometimes absent)
  • chills
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Cough
  • Sore and itchy throat
  • Headache
  • Diarrhea and/or vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fatigue and body ache
I scored yes to 8/9! So, I decided to go to my family doctor, a.s.a.p. But this was not my only concern: I was supposed to get my braces the next day. My orthodontist insisted I do not postpone but take amoxicillin and Piriton, and go ahead with my treatment.
My family doctor did vaguely mention the possibility of Swine Flu. I think he did not want to create an unnecessary panic. He told me that amoxicillin was not needed and prescribed some basic flu aid.

But this experience got me thinking….

What is Swine Flu?
The swine influenza is a respiratory disease that affected pigs, and occasionally humans, like farmers who came into direct contact with pigs. However, this changed in 2009 when the virus evolved into a form that is spread from human to human. This new genetic form of the virus was previously unknown to humans, therefore we lacked the immunity and the medical knowledge to fight it.

What makes it SO dangerous?
For many this flu is just another seasonal flu that requires little medical attention. In most cases a little bed rest would do.
But this is different for people who are suffering from weakened immune systems, heart disease, blood, kidney and liver disorders, chronic lung diseases, neurological and neuromuscular diseases, diabetes and cancer. Anyone under the age of 5 or above the age of 65, as well as pregnant women need to take extra care. For them medical attention is vital as the disease could be fatal.

What can you do?
Stay at home. Rest and Sleep. Drink plenty of water.
If you have any of the complications mentioned above, go to a doctor.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and I am merely paraphrasing what I have read elsewhere. To quote Matt Stone and Trey Parker, “This should not be viewed by anyone”!

1 comment:

  1. Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm) may be another solution to itchy throat. i know a lot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious itchy throat. Hope you are getting well soon!!!

    ReplyDelete

Add your thoughts...