Monday, December 27, 2010

X Rays for Braces: CHECK!

Three Types of Dental X-rays

Today I also completed the X rays that are required for all the pre-braces procedures. My doctor prescribed three x rays in a medical-encrypted form. This is what I was able to figure out from Wikipedia.org :

Lateral Cephalogram- This is an x-ray of the whole head from a sideways view. This one shows how big-headed you really are! And all the hollow space within the skull is also, shamelessly, revealed. This is another special x-ray available only at two locations in our island.

OPG (Orthopantomogram)- This is an x-ray that provides a two dimensional panoramic view of both jaws. I was asked to stand straight with my mouth slightly open while the x-ray machine rotated around my head. This is a special dental x-ray and is ,apparently, only available at locations in Sri Lanka.


IOPA (Intra Oral Periaical) x-ray- This is just the fancy name of the type of dental x-ray most people are familiar with. I had two of this type taken- one of my upper central incisors and one of my lower central incisors, i.e. my bunny teeth!

Tips:

  • Taking an x-ray is a super simple, super safe procedure. Don't sweat it.
  • If you're going for OPG or Lateral Cephalogram you will be required to remove anything metallic from your head region. This includes earrings, hair clips and pins etc. So it would be wise to leave valuables at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts...