Sunday, January 22, 2012

On Fending for Oneself...

I never thought living on your own would be this hard. Not to sound naive, I knew it would be tough, but I never expected it to be THIS hard.
It's the little things that make life rough and shake you up. Like laundry. And breakfast.
Also realizing that, "Life is a journey, not a destination" (Aerosmith 1994) can hurt when you are 21+. Last year I celebrated my coming of age (legally) in a rather queer fashion, but looking back I feel that in spite of the fake cheer and grandiose expectations of love and life frosted on a girl's 21st-birthday-cake, the dawn of that day does hold a significance in a person's life, sort of like, if I may be permitted the cliche, a stepping-stone into adult life (I almost wrote adultery).
Realizing that you are an adult and that college is after all not so different from high school on a Winter's eve can be hard on anyone. The words Graduate School loom ominously on the horizon. And scary words like Marriage and Children poke their heads out of dark corners.
But for tonight, I'll distract myself with homework, cough syrup and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your thoughts...